Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Rag Quilts for Haiti!

Yes I have been sewing away!  Currently we have 23 quilts ready for the orphanage in Haiti!  I have sewn 15, my Mom has done 3 and a neighbor donated 5 from her quilt guild!  Here is a pic!

The ones on the right are 10" squares and are 5x6, meaning 5 squares by 6 squares.  These are for the older kids.  The ones on the left are 7" squares and are 6x6, these are for the babies and toddlers.  I have one of these waiting to snip and another cut and ready to sew!  

I am really bummed about this one though
 

See how the red ran on that one print!  I wash in cold and even use Shout Color Catchers.  After the first wash I sprayed with Shout and washed again, still not change, so I sprayed and let sit over night, nothing!  I have used the red before with no problem.  And it is funny how it only ran on that on print, not the other red print.  DH says I should send it, but I just can't!
DD has been helping me snip and has made a few quilts of her own for an organization that I have worked with for a few years. Threads of Love, one of the things they do is make blankets for preemies, so I have been doing that with my scraps.  Here is one of hers.



They are a little smaller, 6" squares and 6x6, I have some that I made that are 5x5.  She is doing it for community service, but I know she loves to do them anyway!  We made a bunch after hurricane Katrina and sent them to New Orleans.  They are so easy and such fun to make.  You can go with a theme, or just run with it.
Still have about 25 or so to go.  Rainy days are perfect for sewing

Have a good one,

Laura

I posted at:








Photobucket 



3 comments:

Leah said...

What a wonderful thing you're doing! I just heard today that they pulled out another survivor from under a building! 28 days!! Wow! God Bless you and your friends & family!

laurmela said...

Thanks Leah! I figured it what the least I could do and it is fun!

Expressions by Heather said...

What an awesome project for helping Haiti!

Thank you so much for stopping by the Talented Tuesday at My Frugal Family link party, and adding this to the page! Don’t forget to stop back tomorrow to see which links from last week are featured, and to add your new links!