Friday, January 6, 2012

Burlap for the New Year!

I have been wanting to make a burlap table runner for the dining room table, but with all the holiday hoopla just didn't find the time.  Well yesterday I was taking down Christmas, and figured as I put the house back together, maybe I could make one.  I thought I had enough burlap, but it wasn't long enough.  So after a trip to JoAnn's to buy 2 yards, with a coupon of course, I was ready.  I had planned on lining it and putting a ruffle on the ends, but I could't  find any fabric I liked for the lining.  Then I came across this darling trim.

Isn't it neat!  The gal cutting the fabric wanted to know what I was going to do with 2 totally different textures!  She was surprised when I said used them together!  I washed the burlap, which I am not sure I really needed to do, but boy did it come out a mess!  Working with burlap when cutting a large length can be a pain.  I just couldn't get the stuff to lay straight or cut straight.  Maybe there is a secret I don't know about!  Anywho here is the finished product.
I just frayed the edges and ironed on the trim with seam tape.  Nothing fancy, but I do like how it turned out.  Just simple but with a little pop.
It isn't perfect.  Geesh I ironed the thing a lot, looks like it needs another pressing.  And my rosettes are a little swirly!  Oh well, I like it and it works for me!  Have a great weekend.


Laura

 shabby creek cottage

No comments: