Wednesday, July 18, 2012

My first love!



I just wanted to show you my first decorating project.  This was in 2004, and I was finally brave enough to tackle our lovely navajo white walls!  Plus there was no molding or any personality to this 80's tract house! 

The first room I tackled was the tiny powder room downstairs.  First posted on it  here.  Our downstairs is an open concept, there is really only one wall, it seperates the kitchen from the rest of the space and hold up the master bath, so it is sort of important.  The small powder room is the only room downstairs with a door.  Unless you call the closet under the stairs a room!

Here it is in it's 1980's glory:
Lovely isn't it!  and yes, it is only that wide!  And the door opened in!  Fun when you are pregnant!


So I had loved white walls, faux white marble counter's and 80's oak cabinet.  We had just had the floors done, so at least I had good baseboards!

So here is where it got fun, I decided on painting it, wait for it,     RED VELVET!

DH thought I was crazy, and my Mom told me the old addage, never paint a small room a dark color.  But I figured what the heck, it is only paint, right!

So we painted!
One coat.
Two Coats.
Three!
  It took 3 coats to get the color I wanted.  I used semi-gloss, and was using a flash here, sorry for the glare.  Next up, I was going to mosaic the counter!  Yeah I was brave!


Here goes nothing!  I really had no clue what I was doing, so had nothing to loose!
We bought some white and burgundy tiles at Lowes, and I broke them my self.  Then I found some awesome Toile tile already broken at Michaels.  It is really like putting a puzzle together.  Lay it out first then use the mastic to glue down.  Then grout!  Actually the grouting was the hardest part. 

Here she is all done and purdy!
I really love how it turned out, and still get lots of comments on it.

Here is a full view, since the room is so small hard to get a full pic.  We painted the ceiling the same color as the ceiling in the family room outside the door.  Of course I can't remember the color, but it is a pale yellow! 

All those changes were in 2004, flash forward to 2008 when we were redoing, or 'refreshing' the house. 
Ignore the blue tape, I was doing touchups!

I had the contractor add crown, and beadboard to the back wall. He also added a sill to the window. And we added a medallion and small chandy. 






Love my antique window!

I also painted the vanity white and added some embellishment

Since then I haven't done much, why mess with a good thing, right!  I did get a black toilet seat!  Yes that is what I said, a black toilet seat.  They are so vintage and you can get them on Amazon!
And recently I added a few pics of fireweed, a beautiful flower found in Alaska.  I took these pics and just bought frames at Home Goods on clearance.  Spray painted them white and voila pretty pics!

 I also hung my old curling irons up.  Sorry for the glare, hard to get a good pic in this small room
This is on the wall opposite the one above, more fireweed and a vintage map of Alaska!

I also hung a few of my cross stitch projects from over the years, next to the window.
That is is my Red Velvet Bathroom!  We have a friend that calls it the 'Bordello' Room!

Sorry for all the pics and that it was so long.  Sometimes our first project is always the one we love.

Have a great day!

Toodles,

Laura


linking to :  Metamorphisis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
Thrifty Decor Chick

 shabby creek cottage

IhookedupwithHoHlamespice

Home Stories A2Z






No comments: