Tuesday, May 27, 2014

A little Patriotic Lantern!

Home Stories A to ZI love the Red, White and Blue!  Proud to display our countries colors during this patriotic time of year!
 I usually start decorating around Memorial Day and don't take it down till Labor day!  These are a few of the projects I have made over the years.  My Banner I made 4 years ago, still using it but it is a little faded!  Then I made some cool Flag Art.  That is up all year!

Here is a pic from years past!
So this year wanted to do something different!  I had seen these cute mason jar lanterns and wanted to used them in the design.  So here is my inspiration:
This is from Thrifty Vintage Kitchen.  I believe she used them as decorations at her wedding!  How fun is that! 

So I took that idea and ran with it.  I wanted mine to hang, so here is what I did.

These are the supplies you will need:
mason jar, I used different sizes and colors
twine/rope, you can use what you have around the house, that is what I did!  Used 2 different kinds.
flags, I got mine in a 3 pack from Target dollar section!
sand, didn't know it was so hard to find a small bag of sand!
votive candles

I first used rope/twine to wrap around the lip of the jar 4 or five times, then tie it off tight!
 Then I cut  a piece of the same rope/twine in a length I wanted it to hang from.  Wove it under the rope I had just wrapped around.  Make sure you get it under at least 2 or 3 pieces of the rope.  Then knot off tight!  Do the same to the other side making sure they are equally spaced or it won't hand right.

Then I got out my package of flags.  They are just attached to the stick with a staple, so you can easily get it off.  Now you can tea stain if you want or just leave as is.  I left as is.  Here is a pic of the package. 
 
 Now you can use a drop of hot glue at each corner of the flag to adhere it to the glass, or just lay it flat and start wrapping around the string/rope.  That is what I did.

 Here is one of the large jars I used.  Hard to see but it is a jar from DH's grandmother from 1976.  It says 1776-1976 on it.  I actually have 2 of them!

Then you just add some sand to weight it down and push in a votive!
I had a hanging chandelier frame from an old hummingbird feeder that I hung them from but they can be hung from a patio, trees or hooks, what ever you have around. 

This is a close up of the 1776 with the liberty bell underneath!

I love how they turned out.  Will just check the knots from time to time to make sure they are still tight!  Can't wait to use them for our annual summer soiree!

Hope you like my patriotic lantern!

Have a great week.

Toodles,


Laura






linking to:  Met Monday, Shabby Nest,
Inspire Me Please, Home Stories A to Z

Creativity Unleashed Link Party